Thursday, June 21, 2012

Jeneration X by Jen Lancaster

I discovered this author as her fourth book was coming out.  I started with her first one "Bitter is the New Black" and instantly fell in love.  I laughed so hard I cried in many situations and literally tripped over my own feet in an effort to get to Amazon.com to order her next ones.  I have seen Jen Lancaster in person twice and sincerely regret missing her latest book tour with her seventh book.  This post is about her seventh book, but also about her books as a whole.

I loved her first three books, but didn't relate quite as well with her fourth one.  But her fifth one snagged me right back in again.  When she wrote a novel, I jumped in with two feet and didn't enjoy it quite as much as I thought I would.  It was definitely a similar feel to her autobiographies, but I enjoyed her first person point of view rather than a fictional character's.  I also can't get enough of her, Fletch and their wild pets.

When her latest book came out I didn't pre-order it because I assumed (that's the word where the trouble comes in) that Wal-Mart would have it.  They didn't.  But I bet you saw that coming.  I was able to purchase a copy a week later when we went to Barnes and Noble.  I actually made us late for the baseball game we were attending just so I could purchase the latest book.

And then, it was a little bit of a letdown.  I already follow Jen on Facebook and her website, so I was severely disappointed when many of her stories had already been told through those venues.  There were more details to these stories in the book, and there were other stories from her life, but I just felt like I had kind of read it before.

Now, that's not to say that I didn't completely enjoy this book, because I did.  I still laughed and completely related to her.  Perhaps it was lacking because I didn't get to see in her person this year?  Because let me tell you, if you get a chance to go to one of her events, clear your calendar and get your girls together!  She is her books.  She reads pieces out loud exactly as I had read it in my head.  I loved that about her!

So the moral of the story is that you should check this lady out.  Her books are hilarious and the perfect pick-me-up at the end of a stressful day.  My favorites will always be her first three, but I definitely recommend all of them to you for the simple fact that they are all great.

No comments:

Post a Comment